"Paisley surrounds its residents and visitors with history. From the legendary confluence of two rivers, the Saugeen and the Teeswater, to the heritage red-brick buildings, this charming community conveys an atmosphere both relaxing and inspiring." Source ~ http://www.sunsets.com/community.php?page=paisley
"Welcome to the Village of Paisley."
The road twisted and turned as we drove under the scenic bridge. We had just arrived in the Village of Paisley.
"Under the scenic bridge."
We had discovered Paisley a few weeks before and decided that we would like to re-visit the Village. As we drove into the Village we passed interesting well maintained homes.
"A Village of Paisley home."
Having passed the residential area, we drove into Paisley's downtown area.
Interesting shops lined Paisley's main street.
"Main street store."
Paisley offers residents and visitors many engaging activities and facilities to enjoy, here are a few ~ the Elora Soup Company, the Treasure Chest Museum, the Centennial Library and the Historic Fisher Grist Mill.
"Where to go"
"One of Canada’s outstanding artists, David Brown Milne (1882 – 1953) was born on a farm near Burgoyne, Saugeen Township, and raised in Paisley. Milne served as an official Canadian war artist during the First World War. Working mainly in water-colours, he developed a highly personal impressionistic style of painting. Among his better known works are: “Water Lilies, Temagami”; “Painting Places”; “Snow in Bethlehem”; “Rites of Autumn”; and “White Poppy”. His paintings are found in many of the public galleries in Canada." Source ~ http://paisleyvillage.ca/history-of-the-village/
"Historic David Brown Milne plaque."
Just as we were about to leave the Village of Paisley, we noticed a tall chimney, standing alone in a park. We just had to stop to look at it! Beside the chimney was a Historic Plaque. It read as follows ~
THE FOUNDRY CHIMNEY
"This brick chimney is all that remains of a foundry which once employed as many as sixty men. Built in the early 1860s, it operated for several years as Laidlaw's Foundry. John Stewart purchased the business in the late 1860s and changed its name to the Paisley Agricultural Works. In the 1900s the business could no longer compete with large manufacturers and it finally closed. The foundry buildings were dismantled in 1923.
While the works manufactured a wide range of iron products such as pots, hitching posts, fences and ornate chairs and tables, it was best known for such implements as the Harvest Queen Reaper, the Sellar Plow and the Paisley Wrought Iron Harvester."
"THE FOUNDRY CHIMNEY"